|Tutors: Mr Chris Cobbson|
|Weeks: 1, 2, 3 and 4|
This course is open to all instrumentalists and singers who would like to experience and learn the skills involved with playing in a band. All aspects such as song writing, arranging and performing will be covered. The course will also give you the opportunity to play various types of music including Pop, Blues and Reggae. There will be plenty of jam sessions and you will have the opportunity to perform and record your music.
- Introduction. Outline course aims to students. History of Rock/Pop music and discussion using recorded music as reference. Assessment of student's experience/ability with view to forming small bands. Rhythm and vocal workshop.
- Workshops exploring key elements to music genres such as Pop, Heavy Metal, R'n'B, Soul and Reggae. Students put into small groups to perform the same song in a chosen style. Each band to choose one or more songs to perform on the last day.
- Songwriting/arranging and performance session. Song creation workshop including writing lyrics, sound, dynamics etc. Simple song writing and performance assignment for groups. Performance workshop: stage setup, audience awareness, set list etc. Band rehearsals for final performance.
- How to form and run a band: Finding musicians, image, marketing, music industry, gigs etc. How did they do that session: Open questions and answers. Band rehearsals for performance, evaluation of previous day's sessions.
- Open Mic session (students to perform any piece to the group as solo, duo etc) Group comment on performances. Possible recording of bands. Final band rehearsals and performance.
Please note that students need to bring their own instruments and amps where possible. The college only have a limited number available. Please complete and return the form below before 1st June 2018.
Please advise us as to which instrument you will be bringing to Summer School:
Will you be bringing an amp? YES NO
Please return this before 1st June 2018 to:
Marlborough College Summer School